Basement waterproofing can be a home project many homeowners cringe at the idea of starting. Water seeping and the constant humidity the basement accumulates during rainy days can be daunting for many homeowners, and the solutions can be expensive if the problem is ignored or postponed for a later date.
Before doing basement finishing in Ohio, you need to make sure you do not have other problems.
The problems with a leaky basement go beyond humidity and water seepage, two of the major problems with water in the basement are:
- Mold – Health issues are a real concern with homeowners when dealing with water in their basement. Mold can contaminate the air quality of their home and can affect the health of the family. From sneezing, coughing, eye irritation to real respiratory system issues like asthma, mold is a very serious health issue when dealing with water in the basement of the home.
- Foundation Integrity – Water seeping can lead to bowed basement walls and disintegration of the foundation of the home.
There are two types of basement waterproofing solutions:
- Interior basement waterproofing or
- Exterior basement waterproofing
Interior Basement Waterproofing
When do you need interior basement waterproofing? The interior basement waterproofing solution depends on the type of problem you have, but mainly you will be offered this option if:
- If you have water under the basement floor
- If the basement has small fine cracks where an interior solution can fix the problem
- If the basement walls are only damp but there is no water accumulation
Exterior Basement Waterproofing
An exterior basement waterproofing solution is the true waterproofing solution for your home.
- If your basement has water accumulation
- There are signs of water running down the basement walls
- The basement walls are damp up high
- You have bowing of the foundation walls
There are many companies in the market offering homeowners patented or bogus solutions that do not fix the problem and are very expensive. Before signing any papers or giving them a down payment for the work, do your due diligence and find out more information about the company or contractors you want to hire.
Step to follow before you hire a contractor
- Find at least 3 different companies or contractors willing to do the work
- Read the offers and compare their prices and services
- Call them and ask to clarify a particular piece of information you do not understand. A good contractor will be happy to clarify and talk to you about the information you do not understand
- Check their BBB status if they are members
- Call the references they have provided
- Trust your instincts, and ask many questions before signing off
For many people, a great, reputable company is one with a long history in the community and great customer service. Pioneer Basement Solutions is a locally owned and operated company with 40 years of service. We treat our customers the way we like to be treated and have provided basement waterproofing services for many happy customers.
Call us for a free quote today.