What home remodeling project did you do during the pandemic? A new kitchen? A remodeled bathroom? Installing new windows? Did you install new flooring or doors? The number of home remodeling projects homeowners undertook during the pandemic was vast and varied. According to experts, exterior home improvement projects are a growing sector in today’s home remodeling markets and are supposed to keep growing in 2022.
Many of the interior home remodeling projects homeowners did during the pandemic are understood. Many office workers needed the extra space to perform their work, parents needed the space for schooling, and children needed their own space to be children.
Regardless of the need for more space, homeowners felt the necessity to acquire or re-arrange things and space to meet their needs. For this reason, home projects were varied to meet the specific needs of each family.
- For example, the installation of windows, or doors leading to the outdoors was a major home improvement for many of these homeowners. The need to be outdoors and provide natural light to their surroundings was the main reason these home remodeling projects were undertaken. Although in many parts of the country the installation of windows won’t let you recoup a big part of the investment, the savings and the appeal of new windows make this home remodeling project a favorite to many homeowners.
- Home offices-This is a home remodeling project that was expected when you consider the millions of home office employees working from home during the pandemic. Even at the beginning of this year, many employees haven’t made the transition to the office yet. A home office doesn’t have to be a whole room for a transitional period for an employee. It can be a nook in a part of the home designated and remodeled to meet the needs of the individual. On the other hand, if a room is available, remodeling it to make it a home office is a home project many people would love to have the opportunity to do, and many have accomplished it already.
- Basement Finishing-This is a home remodeling project that is big, can be expensive and needs time. But, the many benefits a finished basement can give your family are many. Starting with a personal home office, a finished basement can give you a family room/children’s room, a bar, a home gym, extra bedrooms, etc. The basement of the home is in many cases the same square footage as the first floor, the space for you to experiment is available to you.
- New floors-There are many cases when changing the floor in a room can make it brighter, more spacious, and modern. There are hundreds of different flooring for a homeowner to choose from, the price is affordable, and the quality of many flooring options is excellent. Changing the flooring in any room is an easy project many homeowners can do by themselves, and they can change the look in a room in less than a week with excellent results.
- A new kitchen-If you had an old kitchen, the pandemic was a great opportunity to remodel it. You had plenty of time and plenty of extra hands available. Not counting the delays, and the availability of many of the materials needed, remodeling a kitchen by yourself is not an easy task. There are many homeowners that prefer to hire a professional to do the remodeling, but you have to pay a hefty price for the job. On the other hand, if you were willing to do it yourself during the pandemic, you probably saved thousands of dollars remodeling a part of your home you really need. A new kitchen is a great visual for many prospective buyers, and a part of your home you can enjoy every single day. The recoup amount for this project is not even 75%, but if you are selling the home, a new kitchen will help you sell it faster.
Keep in mind home remodeling projects are very personal. Many families need more rooms to accommodate their growing families, while others only want to beautify the space they have. Regardless of the reason, a home remodeling project needs to be taken seriously and done properly to add value to the home. If you hire someone or do it yourself, you need to have a budget and clear plans to accomplish the project if you want to be happy with it and the price involved. To remodel the kitchen well, you might want to hire a plumber or an electrician to complement your skills. On the other hand, if you are capable to do both jobs, you will be saving hundreds if not thousands of dollars in a single project. Don’t forget, good planning and budgeting will be your friends till the end of the project.